Friday, March 2, 2012

Ken Mehlman's Next Apology: Greed?

Gay Republican Ken Mehlman apologized for pushing an agenda harmful to his very self as head of the RNC and chair of President George W. Bush's re-election campaign:  HuffPo reported:

"At a personal level, I wish I had spoken out against the effort," said Mehlman referring to the campaign's attempt to draw out the conservative base by attacking same-sex marriage.
Mehlman chose power over principle, at least the kind that integrates self within a larger context. 

"One of the things I’ve learned is how many people were harmed by the campaigns in which I was involved," he continued. "I apologize to them and tell them I am sorry.". 

I expect Ken to offer another apology in the future, given his work for private equity underwriter KKR.   KKR milked HCA for $4.25 billion in distributions before HCA's IPO.  How much did health care costs rise as a result of KKR's purchase of HCA?  How much of the distribution came from public health insurance programs, Medicare and Medicaid?  What amount did Ken Mehlman pocket as Global Head of PEU Public Affairs?

Should Ken find money has the same fleeting allure as political power, another apology should be forthcoming.